Since the december 2009 hackfest (reported here, here and here) and the official announcement of the improvements early january 2010, MapOSMatic has seen a sustained flow of interesting improvements. This post compiles the most important improvements that we have done recently, and some details on future improvements.
Support for other countries has been added to OcitySMap, the Python module that actually generates the maps and the indexes. This support allows OcitySMap to generate correct indexes for other countries, by transforming street names such as “Calle de la Vida” into “Vida (Calle de la)”. This was made possible through the major re-organization of OcitySMap for internalization that took place during the december 2009 hackfest. So far, we have support for french, italian, spanish, catalan, brasilian portuguese, arabic, russian, dutch, crotian and polish, thanks to many contributors !
From a coding point of view, OcitySMap now uses the psycopg2 Python module to query the PostgreSQL database instead of pygresql. We made this change because Django, the Web framework that we use for MapOSMatic, already uses psycopg2. Using the same Python module to query the PostgreSQL database sounded like a logical choice.
MapOSMatic, the web front-end for OcitySMap, has also seen a large number of improvements. First, many translations have been added: german, italian, catalan, russian, arabic, brasilian portuguese, crotian, polish and dutch. For the Arabic translation, we have added Right-to-Left support in our web site design. Again, all the translations come from new contributors to the project.
The website has also been completely re-designed :
- A brand new CSS, with a much cleaner design
- The map creation page is now separate from the homepage, for more clarity
- The selector for the city name in the map creation page now provides an auto-suggestion mechanism
- The job and maps page have been completely re-designed, with a better design than the old table-based approach. The maps are now classified by first letter, and a search engine allows to quickly find existing maps.
- A RSS feed has been added to keep track of map renderings taking place on MapOSMatic.org.
See Maxime Petazzoni’s blog post for details on these design improvements.
We have already implemented further improvements, that are currently being tested on our development server :
- A new rendering daemon. When a map request is entered on MapOSMatic, the map rendering doesn’t take place synchronously, since it is a quite consuming work. Map rendering requests are processed asynchronously, one after the other, through a daemon called maposmaticd. This daemon has been completely rewritten to use more Python-ic approaches, to better support timeouts (renderings taking too much time) and in the future to support parallel renderings.
- Use of Pango for text rendering. Until now, OcitySMap was directly using Cairo for rendering text in the street index. While this was working fine for latin characters, it didn’t work for arabic or korean characters (and probably other non-latin characters). Therefore, we have rewritten the code that generates the index to use Pango on top of Cairo, so that all characters are properly rendered. This change needs a little more work but should be ready for production soon.
We have also identified one of the major reasons for which the rendering requests are sometimes so long to process. One of our geographic SQL query is taking a very long time, due to the absence of optimization. We are working on this issue with PostGIS/PostgreSQL experts, and hope to get down from 4 minutes 38 seconds for getting the list of streets for Toulouse to something around 3.2 seconds. As you can expect, we are really looking forward to making these new changes available to the MapOSMatic community!